Re: key map entry for shift-return?

From: Xah Lee
Subject: Re: key map entry for shift-return?
Date: Thu, 9 Jul 2009 09:01:02 -0700 (PDT)

On Jul 9, 7:27 am, Miles Bader <mi...@gnu.org> wrote:
> Alan Mackenzie <a...@muc.de> writes:
> > Hey, stop being so enigmatic!  I think the OP only wants Shift Return
> > for his own use, which should be OK.  So please tell him (and me) what
> > this other complexity is.
>
> He's just looking for an excuse to flog his screeds...

Thanks Miles. ^_^

Well, perhaps just a sentence or two to answer Alan.

Basically, for good or bad, emacs does not capture the key by itself,
but goes thru ascii representation in its implementation... my
phrasing here is not exactl but don't want to spend too much time
writing this. Basically, the end result is that when people want to
map keys like Tab, Return, or with modifiers, it has many
complexities. Many threads asked or discussed these in the past year
or two here.... another example comes to mind is that emacs is unable
to capture Ctrl+Shift+key combos in terminal. Perhaps historically
justifiable... but today's apps that goes thru network don't have this
limitation...

  Xah
∑ http://xahlee.org/