Re: bind a hotkey to toggle variable

From: tiefeng wu
Subject: Re: bind a hotkey to toggle variable
Date: Mon, 13 Jul 2009 17:10:38 +0800

> I'm not familiar with `nav' mode, and I don't know which of my libraries you
> mean. But I'm not surprised that some other code (e.g. `nav') has some
> problems
> with non-nil `pop-up-frames'.

I'm using most of your enhancement libs like "dired+, grep+,
tool-bar+...", "icicles",
"one on one" and some others

> Unfortunately, it's all too common that code, including some vanilla Emacs
> distribution code, does not play well with non-nil `pop-up-frames'. Developers
> who use nil `pop-up-frames' seem too often not to test their code also with
> the
> value non-nil. (And they especially seem not to test it using a standalone
> minibuffer frame.)

To be honest, idea of standalone minibuffer frame get me confused and now I'm
not using it. But stuffs like autofit, thumbnail, move-frame-*, frame
enlarge/shrink, etc.
features are very handy.

> Frankly, I'm always surprised that, 20-30 years after the introduction of
> graphic displays and window managers, most people still use Emacs windows, not
> frames, for most buffers. That Emacs doesn't play very well with non-nil
> `pop-up-frames' could explain that in part, but why people still use Emacs
> windows so much is generally a mystery to me.

I use ntemacs under windows xp, maybe pop up frames more suitable for
people who work
under ms windows. Unix/Linux guys are more comfortablely work under
shell environment.
This is just my own opinion as a newbie to Unix/Linux world. (I force
myself to use ntemacs,
cygwin at work like Unix/Linux training.)

> Wrt working with `nav': I know nothing about it, but perhaps there is an easy
> way (e.g., using a mode hook or `same-window-*'), to use nil `pop-up-frames'
> for
> `nav' buffers only. That should be doable, I would think.

thanks! I'll try.

PS. I'm not a english-speaking person, and it's hard to me to write
things clearly, please ignore
parts that not understandable.

tiefeng wu
2009-07-13