Re: page-at-a-time output for M-x shell

From: Peter Dyballa
Subject: Re: page-at-a-time output for M-x shell
Date: Mon, 13 Jul 2009 12:43:02 +0200

Am 13.07.2009 um 11:38 schrieb Francis Moreau:

OK, so what am I supposed to run in this shell interpreter ?

Everything but pagers and other programmes or utilities that control the cursor. Some ANSI compliance is achieved, to support gls' colourful output or bash colourising the prompt.

I can understand that I can't start mutt or any other appli that needs
all term environment in M-x shell, but the feature I'm asking is not
specific to term emulation,

You're wrong: pagers take full cursor control over the terminal. They're no simple filters (source code is available), because then they would have been implemented as simple shell scripts. Like, for example, which.

it's just a goodies to make life easier when reading the _text_ output of any commands I start from this shell
interpreter.

Write some simple Lua, Ruby, Python, Perl, Shell, or whatever script which counts lines and echoes a (fixed or not) number of them to stdout. Or, much simpler, change your mind and bethink yourself of the task or the aim you want to reach. Is it using a pager? Then take *term* buffer or xterm, or aterm, or…

Probably the *very* best is to take one week holidays. At least.

--
Greetings

  Pete

Sending unsolicited commercial eMail to this account incurs a fee of € 500 per message and acknowledges the legality of this contract.