Re: page-at-a-time output for M-x shell

From: Francis Moreau
Subject: Re: page-at-a-time output for M-x shell
Date: Tue, 14 Jul 2009 12:52:48 -0700 (PDT)

On 14 juil, 21:21, to...@tuxteam.de wrote:

> On Tue, Jul 14, 2009 at 07:21:02PM +0200, Pascal J. Bourguignon wrote:
> > Francis Moreau <francis.m...@gmail.com> writes:
>
> > > On 14 juil, 12:55, p...@informatimago.com (Pascal J. Bourguignon)
> > > wrote:
>
> [...]
> > > No it's not.
>
> > > What you propose with PgUp/PgDn is a _workaround_.
>
> [...]
>
> > It is clear from the first paragraph of my previous answer, but since
> > you don't understand (to the point of making this thread sound
> > trollish), I'll repeat: [...]
>
> To be fair, a buffer with PgUp and PgDn doesn't completely emulate a
> pager at least in two respects:
>
>   * performance (as was pointed out upthread)
>   * stopping the output stream of the process at each page.

I actually mentioned the second point which was more important than
performance when using Emacs, I guess.

> They are just much better to cope with huge/fast streams. So the OP's
> query isn't silly at all.

Yeah but some people here are cleverer than I am, specially Monsieur
Bourguignon with his nice PgUp/PgDw solution and his nice followups.

So yes Monsieur Bourguignon, you're right, it's enough for this empty
discussion.