Please help - the mode line is driving me crazy

From: Mingzuo Shen
Subject: Please help - the mode line is driving me crazy
Date: Tue, 14 Jul 2009 11:11:51 -0700 (PDT)

I am running GNU Emacs 22.2.1 (i386-mingw-nt5.1.2600).
And the mode line has been behaving crazy.
I used to run 22.1 and did not have this problem.

When the pointer accidently rests
on the mode line for a couple of seconds,
even though the Emacs window is not the topmost one,
it "sort of" comes on top on its own.
I say "sort of" because the original window bar still shows it
is the topmost one and still has the keyboard focus.

I am attaching two screen shots.

Do not even know how to formulate a search for this problem.
I know there is an "auto raise" feature under X11,
but why would we want it under Microsoft Windows,
especially if the implementation is not correct?

tried this:
(setq auto-raise-mode nil)
(auto-raise-mode 0)
(auto-lower-mode 0)
(setq auto-lower nil)
(setq auto-raise nil)
no effect.

Please help me disable this feature.
When the pointer rests on the mode-line (or anywhere else)
of the Emacs window, I do not want the Emacs window to move __at all__.
Thanks so much in advance.