Re: Scroll lock changes input method?

From: Xah Lee
Subject: Re: Scroll lock changes input method?
Date: Wed, 15 Jul 2009 16:38:56 -0700 (PDT)

On Jul 14, 12:43 pm, weber <hug...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi guys,
>
> A curious little problem appeared right now. I'm running Emacs 22 on
> Windows XP.
> I was having trouble entering 'ã' until I noticed that scroll-lock was
> activated. When I deactivated it, things went back to normal. Note
> that I have to press '~' and then 'a' to produce an 'ã' in my keyboard
> (brazilian).
> I confirmed using C-h k that emacs received 'a' with scroll lock set,
> but 'ã' without it.
>
> I know this seem to be with Windows and not Emacs, but there's no one
> else to ask.
>
> Anyone knows what scroll-lock is doing here?
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Hugo

not sure i know the answer to your questions... but since no one
replied.

pls give us the version of emacs you are using. (type Ctrl+u Alt+x
version)

i don't think this applies to your problem but sometimes i type Ctrl
+Space then Windows switch me to Chines input system (which i have
turned on). This is Vista SP2. I can turn off this keyboard shortcut
in Reginal control panel, but somehow it kept coming back. Eventually,
i just changed the shortcut to somewhere else.

have no idea about your problem though. Are you using some odd
keyboard? like a gaming keyboard or other with special features? are
you using any key remapping or macro software? such as intellitype or
autohotkey? Does this happen in any other software? say, try to type ã
in Notepad?

  Xah
∑ http://xahlee.org/