Re: Multi-Parent Nodes in org-mode

From: Bastien
Subject: Re: Multi-Parent Nodes in org-mode
Date: Fri, 17 Jul 2009 09:48:36 +0200

Lennart Borgman <lennart.borgman@gmail.com> writes:

> (info "(org) Internal links") says:
>
>    To insert a link targeting a headline, in-buffer completion can be
>    used.  Just type a star followed by a few optional letters into the
>   buffer and press `M-<TAB>'.
>
> That does not work for me.

If you suggest that the completion should then offer only headlines,
yes, it doesn't work like this.

> You can surely do in buffer completion (but
> I do not know why this is useful here), but a link is not inserted.

This part of the manual is about /internal/ links, not links in
general.  So as I understand it, it says that a link like this works:

[[* My headline][A link to My headline]]

... and so it does.

Maybe typing [[* M-TAB could offer completion for in-buffer headlines,
and use IDs when available, but that's a big change.  Copying Carsten if
he has a take on this.

> May I suggest using more normal completion? Then for example Company
> Mode can be used... - it can handle many completions nicely so having
> candidates from a set of files is not a problem...

I'm not familiar with Company mode and I think the problem you raised is
quite specific - interactions with another completion mode is another
issue, no?

Thanks for bringing this up anyway.

--
 Bastien