Re: Multi-Parent Nodes in org-mode

From: Bastien
Subject: Re: Multi-Parent Nodes in org-mode
Date: Fri, 17 Jul 2009 11:00:46 +0200

Lennart Borgman <lennart.borgman@gmail.com> writes:

> It looks to me that there is no easy way to insert an internal link.

Agreed.

> It is actually easier to insert a url. So what I is suggesting is
> adding an alternative "Internal" to all those "bbd: bibtex: elisp:
> ..." etc.

Since [[* A headline][A headline]] works, we just need org-insert-link
to allow completion after the * char.  Then converting this internal
link to an id if necessary.

But maybe internal links are not *that* common and storing the link
before inserting it is okay?

> And from that just prompt as when inserting URLs. (But
> perhaps get the file name through prompting and prompt for anchors
> etc.)

Yes, perhaps I will find time to work on implementing what I describe
above.

>> Maybe typing [[* M-TAB could offer completion for in-buffer headlines,
>> and use IDs when available, but that's a big change.  Copying Carsten if
>> he has a take on this.
>
> Why is using IDs a big change?

No, I meant implementing [[* and completing for in-buffer headlines.

Carsten is on holidays, and this is an UI change, not a bug fix.
I try to confine myself to bugfixes for now :)

>>> May I suggest using more normal completion? Then for example Company
>>> Mode can be used... - it can handle many completions nicely so having
>>> candidates from a set of files is not a problem...
>>
>> I'm not familiar with Company mode and I think the problem you raised is
>> quite specific - interactions with another completion mode is another
>> issue, no?
>
> I just tried Company Mode in an Org buffer. Strange things happen. The
> Company Mode menus have shown up very nicely in all other buffers. It
> looks like this
>
>   http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/CompanyMode
>
> Colored in buffer menus. However in Org buffers the colors disappears
> and the text is scrambled. Three dots shows up so it looks like some
> problem with hidden text. Any hint about that? Anything really strange
> in Org font lock or something like that ... ;-)

Please report this in details on emacs-orgmode@gnu.org, perhaps some
company user can help debugging this.

--
 Bastien