Re: A few problems

From: Anselm Helbig
Subject: Re: A few problems
Date: Sat, 18 Jul 2009 11:05:32 +0200

At Thu, 16 Jul 2009 22:34:03 GMT,
Marco Paunescu <me2@privacy.net> wrote:

> Hello, since I've done recent ubuntu upgrade emacs hasn't been reading
> color rules from .Xresources (done xrdb -merge already) and bbdb hasn't
> been working any more, thou installed (and reinstalled).
>
> I have versions 21, 22 and 23 installed, and actually only 22 loads
> gnus, the others give
>
> run-hooks: Symbol's function definition is void: bbdb-insinuate-gnus
>
> Can we solve these problems?

BBDB works fine for me on Jaunty with the emacs-snapshot package. I've
got this file on my machine:

  /usr/share/emacs-snapshot/site-lisp/bbdb/bbdb-autoloads.elc

which gets loaded by

  /etc/emacs/site-start.d/50bbdb.el

For my emacs23 instance. You should have a bbdb-autoloads.elc for
every emacsen installed. Did you try reinstalling the bbdb package?

Can you call BBDB after starting up without customizations with
emacs-snapshot -Q? Do your color settings from .Xresources work then?
If not, could you post them here?

That being said, it can be tough to keep different versions of emacs
running on the same machine. An extension package that you installed
with the package manager might shadow definitions in a newer emacs
version that comes with this package by default. I had problems with
the emacs-goodies package, TRAMP and just yesterday with SLIME which
ships its own version of tree-widget.

This stuff is easier to handle if you just have one version of emacs
installed, e.g. org-mode comes with emacs23, so you know that you
don't need to install the org-mode ubuntu package, which might or
might not cause problems. Is there a reason you need all of these
emacsen on your machine? I'd recommend that you stay with the newest
version, it's stable enough to use.

HTH,

Anselm

--