Re: help-gnu-emacs Digest, Vol 80, Issue 69

From: Alain Muls
Subject: Re: help-gnu-emacs Digest, Vol 80, Issue 69
Date: Mon, 20 Jul 2009 21:10:56 +0200

help-gnu-emacs-request@gnu.org said the following on 20/07/09 18:01:

Message: 2
Date: Mon, 20 Jul 2009 08:39:39 -0700
From: suvayu ali <fatkasuvayu+linux@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: dired: launch program withou stalling emacs
To: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org

2009/7/20 Alain Muls <alain.muls@telenet.be>:
Hi

I am learning to use dired for file operations. I found out how to launch a
program associated with the extension using eg

(require 'dired-x)
(setq dired-guess-shell-alist-user
     '(("\\.pdf$" "evince")))

The inconvenience of this is that I have to close the program before I can
resume working in emacs. Is there a possibility to launch the pdfviewer
evince and be able to work in emacs without closing the pdfviewer?

If you are on GNU/Linux you can try `! xdg-open RET'.

Hi

this works fine for PDF files, but it fails on .fig (xfig) or .odt (openoffice) files.

Tx/ALain