Re: directory specific configuration

From: giampi
Subject: Re: directory specific configuration
Date: Tue, 21 Jul 2009 08:48:21 -0700 (PDT)

Hi,
thanks Thierry and Dmitry for your fast answers.

To Thierry: I'll probably use you solution for the time being, but I would
prefer not to add emacs specific lines in the files. I co-author them with
colleagues using other editors (I know they are comment lines that do not
cause problems for others, but it would be cleaner to avoid them).

To Dmitry: directory variables seem to do exactly what I need. A drawback is
that I need to change my "global local" ~/.emacs for each directory I add.
The scenario I'm thinking about is checking out the .tex files from an svn
repository and get the configuration I need with them (regardless of the
computer I'm sitting at). In this scenario it is not easy to automatically
change the ~/.emacs file, and even if I change it manually, it is not
possible to include the changes in svn.

In a perfect world, at least IMHO, emacs would read by default a local
.emacs file, if existent, on opening any file. All the configurations would
therefore be local to that directory. I'm not sure if this would slow down
opening a file.

Is there anything like that?
Thanks again,
Giampiero