Making auto-mode-alist override interpreter-mode-alist

From: Francis Devereux
Subject: Making auto-mode-alist override interpreter-mode-alist
Date: Wed, 22 Jul 2009 17:46:35 +0100

Hi,

I have derived a mode from python-mode that has some settings for my company's Python coding style. I want to use this mode (bright-python- mode) for .py files in certain directories but use the default python- mode for all other .py files.

I have the following in my auto-mode-alist:
(set-variable 'auto-mode-alist
          (append '(
("/Users/francis/Code/Bright/.*\\.py$" . bright-python- mode)
            ) auto-mode-alist))

This works for most files, but not for those whose first line is #!/ usr/bin/python. They always open in python-mode, regardless of the directory that they are in. I think that this is happening because interpreter-mode-alist is overriding auto-mode-alist. Is there any way to make auto-mode-alist have priority over interpreter-mode-alist?

I don't really want to remove the python entry from interpreter-mode- alist because then Python scripts with a shebang whose names don't end in .py wouldn't open in python-mode.

Thanks,

Francis