Re: directory specific configuration

From: Peter Brett
Subject: Re: directory specific configuration
Date: Wed, 22 Jul 2009 08:13:02 +0100

giampi <giampisalvi@gmail.com> writes:

> In a perfect world, at least IMHO, emacs would read by default a local
> .emacs file, if existent, on opening any file. All the configurations would
> therefore be local to that directory. I'm not sure if this would slow down
> opening a file.

Would something like this work (in your main .emacs file)?

(add-hook 'find-file-hook
          (function (lambda ()
                            ; Logic for loading directory-specific
                            ; .emacs file goes here
                            )))

You'd probably need to define a directory-local variable in order to
check if you've already loaded the current directory's config this
session.  Also, don't forget that there is a security risk associated
with blindly running elisp code from anywhere on your disk; consider
putting a y-or-n-p in there somewhere.

                               Peter

--
Peter Brett <peter@peter-b.co.uk>