Re: Making auto-mode-alist override interpreter-mode-alist

From: Francis Devereux
Subject: Re: Making auto-mode-alist override interpreter-mode-alist
Date: Thu, 23 Jul 2009 10:36:49 +0100

On 22 Jul 2009, at 18:06, Lennart Borgman wrote:

On Wed, Jul 22, 2009 at 6:46 PM, Francis Devereux<francis@devrx.org> wrote:
Hi,

I have derived a mode from python-mode that has some settings for my
company's Python coding style. I want to use this mode (bright- python-mode) for .py files in certain directories but use the default python- mode for all
other .py files.

I have the following in my auto-mode-alist:
(set-variable 'auto-mode-alist
         (append '(
("/Users/francis/Code/Bright/.*\\.py$" . bright-python- mode)
           ) auto-mode-alist))

This works for most files, but not for those whose first line is
#!/usr/bin/python. They always open in python-mode, regardless of the
directory that they are in.  I think that this is happening because
interpreter-mode-alist is overriding auto-mode-alist. Is there any way to
make auto-mode-alist have priority over interpreter-mode-alist?

You can defadvice python-mode instead of modifying the lists. There is
nothing magic about major mode functions. They are just functions that
set up for editing in the buffer.

I have now solved my problem by defadvicing python-mode instead of defining a major mode.

Thanks for the advice ;-)

Francis