RE: cieluv <-> rgb conversion

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: cieluv <-> rgb conversion
Date: Fri, 31 Jul 2009 16:07:17 -0700

> >> Anyone have algorithms in elisp for color conversions
> >> cieluv <-> rgb?
> >
> > Dunno. But HSV is perhaps close enough? If so:
> > http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/wiki/hexrgb.el
> >
> > Even if not, you can probably adapt the code there by
> > adapting the HSV <-> RGB conversion algorithms.
>
> Thanks, but I am looking for a color representation where you could
> easily measure the color difference as we see them as humans. CIE Luv
> is one such that seems good.

1. I didn't suggest using a different color representation from CIE Luv (but see
#2).

What I tried to suggest was to find a CIE Luv <-> RGB conversion algorithm on
the Web, and then adapt the code in hexrgb.el to use that algorithm. I'm
guessing that any such algorithm wouldn't be too different from HSV <-> RGB. And
hexrgb.el handles the rest, beyond the basic conversion.

2. Are you sure CIE Luv is well suited to use with a CRT or LCD screen? Human
color perception is one thing; what screens emit is another thing.

Anyway, I'm no expert on this. Good luck.