Re: X fonts handling in 23.1

From: Tim X
Subject: Re: X fonts handling in 23.1
Date: Sat, 01 Aug 2009 10:51:57 +1000

Dmitry Antipov <dmantipov@yandex.ru> writes:

> Hello all,
>
> my ~/.Xdefaults contains:
>
> Emacs*font: -misc-*
>
> And 22.3 starts with the expected font. But 23.1 doesn't.
>
> Moreover, I can start 22.3 with '-fn fixed' and then do
> (set-frame-font "-misc-*"), and it toggles the font
> as expected. But, again, not for 23.1.
>
> Both versions are configured with:
>
> ./configure --without-dbus --without-rsvg --without-sound \
>             --with-x-toolkit=lucid --without-xft --without-pop
>
> I've tried with '-Q' and with 'LANG=C', but it doesn't matter.
>
> This issue was observed on two Fedora 10 and Fedora 11 systems.

Font handling in 23 is all new and supports antialiased fonts. Check the
NEWS file for details.

I found I had to add

Emacs.fontBackend: xft

to my .Xresources file in order to get fonts working correctly.
This is on a Debian testing/unstable box.

Why are you building with lucid rather than the default GTK? Also, why
disable dbus support? Did the output from ./configure give anything
useful?

Given its a new release, I'd be inclined to build just using all
defaults to start with and then see if that works and slowly remove what
you don't want. This is also a good way to see how things have changed
and then enable you to re-evaluate what is not required.

For the last month or so, the commands I've used to build (from CVS) are

./configure prefix=/usr/local
make bootstrap
make install

The font I'm using is -fn "DejaVu Sans Mono-14" and it works very
nicely.

HTH

Tim

--