Re: Flyspell error

From: Xah Lee
Subject: Re: Flyspell error
Date: Mon, 3 Aug 2009 19:17:36 -0700 (PDT)

ok, first make sure the PATH env var in your Windows is setup
correctly.

some tips here

• Using PowerShell to Manage Environment Variables
  http://xahlee.org/powershell/environment_variables.html

then, restart your cmd.exe (by just closing it).
After restart, type

echo %PATH%

e.g. on my machine shows:

C:\Users\xah>echo %PATH%
C:\Windows\system32;C:\Windows;C:\Windows\System32\Wbem;C:\hp\bin
\Python;c:\Prog
ram Files (x86)\ATI Technologies\ATI.ACE\Core-Static;C:\Program Files
(x86)\Quic
kTime\QTSystem\;C:\Windows\system32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\

Once you got this, then type aspell from any dir and see it works.
You need to get this step fixed.

Once good, launch emacs, then in emacs, type Alt+x shell or Alt+x cmd-
shell (the latter is in emacsW32, not sure if it is in other emacs on
Windows)

then type
echo %PATH%

the output should match the same as in your cmd.exe. If not, try the
set paths elisp code:

(when (string-equal system-type "windows-nt")
  (progn
    (setenv "PATH" "/usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/X11R6/bin:/
cygdrive/c/Windows/system32:/cygdrive/c/Windows:/cygdrive/c/Windows/
System32/Wbem")
    (setq exec-path
          '(
            "C:/Program Files (x86)/Emacs/emacs/bin/"
            "C:/Windows/system32/"
            "C:/Windows/"
            "C:/Windows/System32/Wbem/"
            "C:/Windows/system32/WindowsPowerShell/v1.0/"
            "C:/cygwin/bin/"
            )
          )
    )
  )

mod the path for your machine and put it in your emacs init file.
Select the code, then type Alt+x eval-region.

Now, close your shell buffer. Start it again. Try
echo %PATH%

again.
If good, type aspell while in emacs's cmd shell. It should run. If so,
hten you should be have spell checking in emacs now.

--------

on my machine, i have the above in my init file, but often the env var
PATH shown in emacs is still different from OS's PATH value. This
causes running SOME of the unix commands to fail. I haven't
investigated why yet, but i workaround by eval that code again in
emacs whenever that happens ....

nor do i know what exactly is the diff between exec-path and setenv
with PATH...

... spent way too much time writing this. Good luck.

  Xah
∑ http://xahlee.org/