Re: Emacs 23.1.1 Windoze doesn't locate/run site-lisp.el/default.el anym

From: Peter Milliken
Subject: Re: Emacs 23.1.1 Windoze doesn't locate/run site-lisp.el/default.el anymore (bug??)
Date: Tue, 4 Aug 2009 14:14:50 +1000

It was the pretest emacs (the very last one before the official release I believe) - which is when I was first faced with the tool-bar sticking me in the face. So I read up on how to get rid of it and was forced to put the code in site-start.el - which I naturally put in the same directory as my .emacs - not reading the manual carefully enough to realise it should not find it there - but it did.

So I guess something changed since the last pretest and the official release - because it was certainly working from ~! :-)

I may abandon using the Windows release of Emacs though as the road seems to be for more and more Windows/mouse interaction being built in as "default". It is annoying having to research how to turn the stuff off. I think I'll have a closer look at the cygwin Emacs distrib.

Thanks anyway
Peter

On Tue, Aug 4, 2009 at 11:55 AM, Jason Rumney <jasonrumney@gmail.com> wrote:
On Aug 3, 6:50 am, Peter Milliken <peter.milli...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Just loaded Emacs 23.1.1 for Windoze and now my site-lisp.el file nolonger
> seems to run.

> Just for the hell of it, I copied the default.el into c:/emacs/site-lisp -
> and Emacs appears to run it from that location - which is NOT where I want
> my personal customisations to reside!
>
> Nothing else has changed i.e. my HOME directory prior to starting Emacs is
> still pointing to where the site-start.el/default.el files are located.

Emacs has never automatically run site-lisp.el and default.el files
from the HOME directory,  unless your HOME directory happens to be
called site-lisp and is in the parent directory of your previous Emacs
installation, I don't see how this could have worked without
customizations in .emacs