Re: Flyspell error

From: Xah Lee
Subject: Re: Flyspell error
Date: Tue, 4 Aug 2009 11:57:31 -0700 (PDT)

On Aug 4, 10:34 am, suvayu ali <fatkasuvayu+li...@gmail.com> wrote:
> 2009/8/3 sam jesse <rev...@gmail.com>:
>
> > Thanks a lot for write this.
> > I followed through, the problem I am having is that the echo %PATH% output
> > is not the same in the cmd.exe vs. the emacs shell.
>
> > here is the modified code in my .emacs.

> > (when (string-equal system-type "windows-nt")
> >  (progn
> >    (setenv "PATH" "/usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/X11R6/bin")
>
> I am an emacs newbie, so take everything I write with a grain of salt.
> The path value quoted above looks valid for a *nix system not XP.
>
> > should I copy the output from the cmd and put it in the code inside my
> > .emacs?
>
> Since you are on XP that would be a reasonable thing to try.

Thanks for catching that.

i set my PATH in my Windows emacs to unix paths because i'm mostly
using cygwin shell inside emacs...

i still need to do some study on the various paths to have a some sort
of more universal setup, so that i should be able to invoke cygwin or
Windows commands in all of emacs interactive shells: shell, cmd-shell,
powershell... as of now, am not sure that's even desirable... i guess
i needs to understand more about how these shells relates to each
other technically outside of emacs first... the path separator issue
of / vs \ and their automatic conversion in different shells has also
been a pain... in all shells (cygwin bash, cmd.exe, PowerShell) they
all have automatic conversion as you use the shell, but when you write
scripts or set paths, you can't arbitrarily use / or \ (even if
properly quoted in string), the rule for the omission of drive letter
is also a complex issue, and cygwin has some rather esoteric
mechanisms to map drives (e.g. in cygwin bash, ā€œ/cygdrive/cā€ maps to

 Xah