Re: How to setup emacs 23.1 on macosx

From: Olivier Sirven
Subject: Re: How to setup emacs 23.1 on macosx
Date: Wed, 05 Aug 2009 23:23:41 +0200

Hi,

n179911 <n179911@gmail.com> writes:
> I get the source of emacs 23.1 and compile successfully on Mac OSX.
> I have installed it by DnD Emacs.app to /Application.
>
> But how can I
> * start emacs on shell command line ? with a file name so that it
> starts with the file open?
In your source directory, just run following commands:
$ make clean
$ ./configure --prefix=/usr/local
$ make
$ sudo make install

You'll just have to make sure /usr/local/bin is in your PATH and
prior to /usr/bin. If it's ok emacs command will launch emacs 23.1

To open a file in console is as easy as:
$ emacs /path/to/my/file

or with emacsclient:
$ emacsclient -c /path/to/my/file

> * what should my EDITOR variable set to? I want to set it up so that
> git can open emacs when i commit
I use this one:
EDITOR="emacsclient -c -a ''".

If there is no emacs daemon running it will start one and connect to it.
This way the next time you invoke $EDITOR it will be way faster.

--
Olivier