Getting password-cache.el to work with tramp

From: N.Davis
Subject: Getting password-cache.el to work with tramp
Date: Thu, 06 Aug 2009 14:51:26 +0100

Hi,
I'm running emacs 22.3.1 which comes with tramp. I want to be able to edit files on a number of machines without being repeatedly being asked for passwords, without necessarily having to use ssh keys. Tramp "out of the box" repeatedly asks for (forgets) passwords. It looked like downloading password-cache.el was a good idea to fix this, however, it doesn't seem to work. I put password-cache.el in the same directory as modes which are definitely picked up in the load-path.
  I added (setq password-cache-expiry nil) to .emacs.
I also tried adding
  (setq password-cache t)

I tried requring it and explicitly loading it too.

However, on starting emacs and trying to access remote files, it still repeatedly asks for passwords.

I have very little experience with including other .el files for emacs.

Is there something elementary/stupid I've failed to do here or does anyone have any pointers?

Thanks a lot,
Nick