Re: keyboard-translate working for Control but not for Alt

From: B. T. Raven
Subject: Re: keyboard-translate working for Control but not for Alt
Date: Thu, 06 Aug 2009 23:02:57 -0500

Elena wrote:
On 6 Ago, 23:04, Elena <egarr...@gmail.com> wrote:
On 6 Ago, 18:34, "B. T. Raven" <ni...@nihilo.net> wrote:

A conservative approach to Emacs ergonomics with a Dvorak keyboard on
w32  is to pull the keycaps, including the bottom row and use Keytweak
to reassign the mod keys:
super alt ctl spacebar ctl alt super hyper
What do you use the Hyper key for?

Wait a moment! I don't think that Hyper is available on Windows... is
it?

Thanks

You also need this in your .emacs:

(setq w32-pass-lwindow-to-system nil
      w32-pass-rwindow-to-system nil
      w32-pass-apps-to-system    nil
      w32-lwindow-modifier       'super   ;; Left Windows
      w32-rwindow-modifier       'super   ;; Right Windows
w32-apps-modifier 'hyper) ;; App-Menu (key to right of Right Windows)

I discovered that I don't use hyper for anything. But I *could*. Btw, even with this setup, a lot of mswin key combos leak through, making them unavailable to Emacs, but if you look at them a little cross-eyed they can be seen as features rather than bugs. E.g. repeated Alt-tab cycles through loaded windows apps whether you want to or not.

Ed