Re: en word list for aspell under windows

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: en word list for aspell under windows
Date: Fri, 07 Aug 2009 11:36:11 +0300

> Date: Fri, 7 Aug 2009 07:58:56 +1000
> From: sam jesse <revrvr@gmail.com>
>
> I downloaded aspell-en-0.51-1.tar.bz2 onto my windows XP but was not able to
> unzip it, so I installed bzip2-1.0.5-setup.exe in order to unzip it but was
> not able to use it. I really did not expect all this pain in order to get
> some words spell checked, so I need some comfort.

Caveat: I don't use Aspell, and didn't actually try to install it or
use it with Emacs, so what's below is pure theory.

Having said that, I hope what's below will bring you the comfort you
need ;-)

This URL:

   http://aspell.net/win32/

Seems to include links to precompiled Windows binaries of Aspell and
to precompiled dictionaries.  Pick up your language (English?),
download, and follow the instructions at the top of the above Web page
to install.

Failing that (or if you absolutely cannot settle for 7-year old
dictionaries), here's a link to install Windows binaries to unpack a
.tar.bz2 archives:

The Bzip2 program:

    http://gnuwin32.sourceforge.net/packages/bzip2.htm

The BsdTar program, a clone of Tar

    http://gnuwin32.sourceforge.net/packages/libarchive.htm

The latter is needed because bunzip2 alone will just produce a .tar
file that is an uncompressed archive, and you still need to untar it.

Pick the link to the binaries, either "setup" or "zip" (I always
prefer the latter, since that gives me control where to put each part
of the package, but that's me).

Once you install both of these packages, unpack
aspell-en-0.51-1.tar.bz2 as follows (from the command prompt):

   > bsdtar -xjf aspell-en-0.51-1.tar.bz2

(The j flag to BsdTar will invoke bunzip2 behind the scenes, you just
need it installed an on your PATH.)