perl-mode vs cperl-mode

From: Colin Williams
Subject: perl-mode vs cperl-mode
Date: Fri, 7 Aug 2009 09:45:19 -0400

I'm trying to decide how to set up my perl development environment,
and I've come to a bit of a conundrum.  I realize that there is both a
`perl-mode' and a `cperl-mode' lying around in the emacs code base,
but it's unclear to me which one is better.  Many people have said
(rather authoritatively, I might add) that `cperl-mode' is much
better, but none of these people bother to list the ways in which it's
better.  I was hoping somebody could categorically list the features
`cperl-mode' has that make it better than `perl-mode'.

Colin