Re: perl-mode vs cperl-mode

From: Xah Lee
Subject: Re: perl-mode vs cperl-mode
Date: Fri, 7 Aug 2009 15:33:17 -0700 (PDT)

> On 2009-08-07, Colin Williams <lack...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > I'm trying to decide how to set up my perl development environment,
> > and I've come to a bit of a conundrum.  I realize that there is both a
> > `perl-mode' and a `cperl-mode' lying around in the emacs code base,
> > but it's unclear to me which one is better.  Many people have said
> > (rather authoritatively, I might add) that `cperl-mode' is much
> > better, but none of these people bother to list the ways in which it's
> > better.  I was hoping somebody could categorically list the features
> > `cperl-mode' has that make it better than `perl-mode'.

i code in perl daily from day job as well as my own scripts from about
1997 to 2004. Since then i haven't looked at the issue of which perl
mode is better, but basically, cperl-mode is far better during those
years, and probably true without a slightest doubt today too.

these sort of questions really only you can determine. Posting here is
probably just a social chatting call. LOL.

On Aug 7, 9:36 am, Ilya Zakharevich <nospam-ab...@ilyaz.org> wrote:

> I (obviously ;-) tried to investigate this topic, and now I'm pretty
> sure that nobody would be able to answer your question.  This is the
> standard gnoseological problem: it is many years now that I did not
> see people with clue (e.g., about cperl-mode) who know how perl-mode works...
>
> In CPerl menu Mini-docs, there is the description of one half of your
> question.  The other half would probably remain a mystery forever...
>
> Hope this helps,
> Ilya

Hi Ilya, i was intriqued by one of interview on you about how perl
lacks text processing functions. I wrote a essay about it:

• Text Processing: Elisp vs Perl
  http://xahlee.org/emacs/elisp_text_processing_lang.html

do you think my understanding of your remarks is roughly on the ball
park? Your comment appreciated. Thanks.

  Xah
∑ http://xahlee.org/