Re: search for any two consecutive uppercase characters

From: Pascal J. Bourguignon
Subject: Re: search for any two consecutive uppercase characters
Date: Thu, 13 Aug 2009 00:38:26 +0200

Horacio Suarez <horaciosuarez@hotmail.com> writes:

> Hello all:
>
> Is there a way to search for any two consecutive uppercase characters? In
> example "PÉREZ" or
> "GONZÁLEZ"

Yes, this is difficult, because of the accented letters.  There is no
[:upper:] in emacs regular expressions.  It might be possible to build
a syntax table or something to identify uppercase letters including
accented ones, but AFAIK, there's nothing built in.  The simpliest
would be to prepare a regular expression explicitely listing all the
characters you'd want, something like:

          "\\<[A-ZÀÁÂÃÄÅÆÇÈÉÊËÌÍÎÏÐÑÒÓÔÕÖØÙÚÛÜÝÞ]+\\>"

but in all generality, you'd miss a lot of other capital letters.

> I was looking in the manuals but I didn´t find it.
>
> I want to make a macro that looks for a word all uppercase, go to the
> beggining of that word and
> Capitalize it. Unsing the words in the example: "Pérez" or "González".

That's easier to do.  Just beware of the triple negation ;-)

(require 'cl)

(defun capitalize-uppercase-words (start end)
  (interactive "r")
  (goto-char start)
  (while (re-search-forward "\\<\\sw*\\>"  end t)
    (let ((word  (match-string 0))
          (start (match-beginning 0))
          (end   (match-end 0)))
      (unless (some (lambda (ch) (char/= ch (upcase ch))) word)
        (delete-region start end)
        (insert (capitalize word))))))

--
__Pascal Bourguignon__