Re: unicode rendering on Carbon Emacs 22 vs Mac Emacs 23

From: CHENG Gao
Subject: Re: unicode rendering on Carbon Emacs 22 vs Mac Emacs 23
Date: Mon, 17 Aug 2009 14:08:40 +0800

*On Sun, 16 Aug 2009 21:51:27 -0700 (PDT)
* Also sprach Xah Lee <xahlee@gmail.com>:

> On Aug 16, 3:03 pm, Byung-Hee HWANG <b...@izb.knu.ac.kr> wrote:
>> Xah Lee <xah...@gmail.com> writes:
>> > comparison of unicode rendering on Carbon Emacs 22 vs Mac Emacs 23.
>>
>> >http://xahlee.org/UnixResource_dir/writ/mac_emacs_unicode.html
>>
>> > any conclusion from this?
>>
>> > PS since my mac and OS is few years old, both Carbon Emacs and
>> > Aquamacs Emacs has dropped support for about over a year, so i haven't
>> > tested their latest. Is current version Carbon Emacs or Aquamacs
>> > actually run on cocoa code base from emacs 23?
>>
>> > could anyone download this file
>> >http://xahlee.org/emacs/unicode.txt
>> > and show screenshot in their current Carbon/Aquamacs Emacs?
>>
>> Xah, i have no MacOS. Just i tested on my desktop,
>> FreeBSD.http://izb.knu.ac.kr/~bh/stuff/unicode-test-xah-emacs23-20090817001.png
>>
>> It works well for me. Thanks!
>
> Hi Hwang, thanks. Looks like you have a pretty good setup. Am rather
> surprised that it happens on BSD. Btw, is that emacs 23 out of the box
> or do you have to do some setup such as picking a font in emacs/X11?
>
>   Xah
>http://xahlee.org/

I think you may be interested in YAMAMOTO Mitsuharu-san's Carbon+AppKit
port (for emacs 22.3 and emacs 23.1)[1].

I built emacs 23.1 "hackers-only" version successfully (on my MacOSX
10.5.8).

Viewing your unicode.txt, I can see a little difference. Some Math
symbols can not be shown in my Cocoa build (I trust it's owing to my
font setting). While all of them show correctly in Carbon+AppKit build.

I suggest you build this port. It's not hard. Just get official release
tarball, and apply patch-mac patch file, then copy additional files into
the tree. There is an installation instruction included.

Footnotes:
[1]  http://article.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.devel/113590/