Re: Difficulties byte-compiling very large .el

From: Aemon
Subject: Re: Difficulties byte-compiling very large .el
Date: Mon, 17 Aug 2009 20:48:55 -0700 (PDT)

On Aug 14, 12:52 pm, Xah Lee <xah...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Aug 12, 7:50 pm, Aemon <aemoncan...@gmail.com> wrote:
>

> > I've been working on a project to create an elisp target for the ANTLR
> > parser-generator. Here's the project
> > page:http://github.com/aemoncannon/antlr-elisp/tree/experimental
>
> > The generated parser for ActionScript 3 is over 30k lines long and
> > fails tobyte-compile with the message:
> > as3_elispParser.el:31515:33:Error: Invalid character: 256, #o400,
> > #x100
>
> > Here's the source in question:http://aemon.com/file_dump/as3_elispParser.el
>
> > I don't think the error is actually related to the content of the
> > file, as deleting arbitrary chunks seems to make the error go away.
>
> > There are lots of "Warning: reference to free variable ...." warnings,
> > but I understand where those are coming from and I'm not worried about
> > them.
>
> > Bear in mind there are *lots* of macros being expanded. Most of the
> > forms with the prefix 'a3el' are macros.
>
> > Any ideas?
>
> i don't have much experience inbytecompilingelisp files... nobody
> seems to have answered maybe i'll take a potshot.
>
> i tried to download andbytecompile it, but first error is that i
> lack the required package declared in the first line. So, we couldn't
> really test it.
>
> about this error:
>
> > as3_elispParser.el:31515:33:Error: Invalid character: 256, #o400,
> > #x100
>
> are you using emacs 22 with emacs 23bytecode or vice versa? as you
> might know, emacs 23 went utf-8 for internal char representation, so
> thebytecode produced are incompatible with emacs 22. The error msg
> above smells like this sort of problem. If your .el files does not
> have any non-ascii char, then it shouldn't be a problem though.
>
> oh, just noticed you did give the project page link above. Am tired
> atm will have maybe try later. But when did this problem start to
> happen? There must be a point when things are working and not working.
>
>   Xah
>http://xahlee.org/

Hi Xah,

Thanks for taking a look.

As of my previous email I'd been using exclusively emacs 22, but your
mention of emacs 23 inspired me to try it out. Interestingly the byte-
compile fails with a slightly different error:

../test/grammars/as3_elispParser.el:31515:33:Error: Args out of range:
256, 0, 255

- I searched the file for non-ascii characters and found none.

- The source interprets just fine using eval-buffer.

- The line mentioned (31515) is the second-to-last line in the file --
I don't see anything special about it.

Still no luck, but I'll keep hammering on it.

BTW, do you know of any other elisp sources that are so large as 31k
lines?