Re: unicode rendering on Carbon Emacs 22 vs Mac Emacs 23

From: Byung-Hee HWANG
Subject: Re: unicode rendering on Carbon Emacs 22 vs Mac Emacs 23
Date: Tue, 18 Aug 2009 16:01:45 +0900

Xah Lee <xahlee@gmail.com> writes:

> On Aug 17, 12:00 am, Byung-Hee HWANG <b...@izb.knu.ac.kr> wrote:
>> X11 supports UTF-8 stuff very well, i think. Currently, Emacs also good
>> to UTF-8.
>
> But my question is, if you would answer: is your screenshot from emacs
> 23 out of the box, or did you have some emacs customization such as
> choosing font? In particular, if you did have some customization, did
> you simpy pull the Options, Set Default Font, or is it more
> complicated, such as creating a emacs concept of fontset, or download
> some font on the net, etc?

Of course, its screenshot was from Emacs 23 on FreeBSD 7.2-RELEASE. See
bottom of the screenshot with care. And i put some values into ~/.emacs
for that, as flollow:

;; Font, Charset
(set-default-font "Bitstream Vera Sans Mono-12")
(set-fontset-font "fontset-default" '(#x1100 . #xffdc)  '("UnTaza" .
"unicode-bmp"))
(setq default-frame-alist '((font . "Bitstream Vera Sans Mono-12")))
(set-language-environment "UTF-8")
(set-coding-priority '(coding-category-utf-8))
(setq locale-coding-system 'utf-8)
(set-selection-coding-system 'utf-8)
(prefer-coding-system 'utf-8)
(setq-default mime-transfer-level 8)

That was all to make the screenshot.

>> However, i don't know about MacOS. Please Let me pay my small
>> adivce and respect for you. Yes, you need to switch from MacOS to free
>> operating system (e.g., GNU/Linux or BSD).
>
> LOL.
>
> Thank you for the suggestion.
>
> May i suggest you one thing?
>
> Basic Economics, by Thomas Sowell.
>
>  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thomas_Sowell
>
> Recently i have discovered that this book has been pirated, and i have
> little doubt, by Open Source or Free Software proponents. I noticed,
> there's a audio version on the net.

Though, you should go toward free software world.

Sincerely,

---
"I'll give you some more straight talk. After the Don died, Mike was set up
to be killed. Do you know who set him up? Tessio. So Tessio had to be killed.
Carlo had to be killed. Because treachery can't be forgiven. Michael could
have forgiven it, but people never forgive themselves and so they would always
be dangerous. Michael really liked Tessio. He loves his sister. But he would
be shrinking his duty to you and his children, to his whole family, to me and
my family, if he let Tessio and Carlo go free. They would have been a danger
to us all, all our lives."
                -- Tom Hagen, "Chapter 32", page 442