Re: Meta key definition in a linux console

From: Colin S. Miller
Subject: Re: Meta key definition in a linux console
Date: Thu, 20 Aug 2009 12:15:24 +0100

Olivier Sirven wrote:
Hello there,

I run a Mac laptop with emacs 23 and everything is just fine, my meta
key is defined to my command key and I'm happy with it. But when I
ssh to a distant linux machine and run an emacs 23 session in console
mode I don't have any other ways to access meta but by using ESC key
which is far from being an ergonomical solution. As this emacs version is compiled for linux, there is no such variable
as "mac-command-modifier" and I don't know how to tell emacs (or the
console) to use the command key as meta.

Any ideas would be just great!

Thanks

Olivier,
if you log in using "ssh -X" (capital X, lowercase disables X-forwarding),
then ssh will wrap an X-window connection from
the remote machine back to local machine, and set up any xauth information.
Then you can use the remote emacs as an X application.

HTH,
Colin S. Miller
--
Replace the obvious in my email address with the first three letters of the
hostname to reply.