Re: Meta key definition in a linux console

From: Suvayu Ali
Subject: Re: Meta key definition in a linux console
Date: Thu, 20 Aug 2009 08:04:47 -0700

Hi Olivier,

On Thursday 20 August 2009 04:23 AM, Olivier Sirven wrote:
"Colin S. Miller"<no-spam-thank-you@csmiller.demon.co.uk>  writes:

if you log in using "ssh -X" (capital X, lowercase disables X-forwarding),
then ssh will wrap an X-window connection from
the remote machine back to local machine, and set up any xauth information.
Then you can use the remote emacs as an X application.
Thanks Colin I already know that and that's not want I want. I want to
use emacs in console mode only because I don't want to install X on my
distant servers.

How about using tramp instead? I find it the most wonderful functionality in emacs for remote file editing. To use it just open a file in your local emacs with `/ssh:user@host:/path/to/file/on/remote/machine'. If you use ssh_keys then you don't even need to enter your password, feels almost like a local file.

GL :)

--
Suvayu