Re: Meta key definition in a linux console

From: Olivier Sirven
Subject: Re: Meta key definition in a linux console
Date: Thu, 20 Aug 2009 17:17:50 +0200

Suvayu Ali <fatkasuvayu+linux@gmail.com> writes:

> On Thursday 20 August 2009 04:23 AM, Olivier Sirven wrote:
>> "Colin S. Miller"<no-spam-thank-you@csmiller.demon.co.uk>  writes:
>>
>>> if you log in using "ssh -X" (capital X, lowercase disables X-forwarding),
>>> then ssh will wrap an X-window connection from
>>> the remote machine back to local machine, and set up any xauth information.
>>> Then you can use the remote emacs as an X application.
>> Thanks Colin I already know that and that's not want I want. I want to
>> use emacs in console mode only because I don't want to install X on my
>> distant servers.
>>

> How about using tramp instead? I find it the most wonderful
> functionality in emacs for remote file editing. To use it just open a
> file in your local emacs with
> /ssh:user@host:/path/to/file/on/remote/machine'. If you use ssh_keys
> then you don't even need to enter your password, feels almost like a
> local file.
Tramp is just fine for some purposes but not in this case. Let me
explain how I work on my distant file so you understand why I really
need my emacs to fully work in console mode.

I have a screen running on my distant server which is very useful to
me because it contains all the stuff I need to be able to work nicely:
remote connections to my other servers, database connection, some shell
commands running foreground and of course my emacs. And thanks to screen
I can use any available desktop computer or laptor to connect to my
server and get back my work desktop exactly how I left it.

That's why I really need my emacs console mode to be fully functional
even if I use a Mac to connect to it.

--
Olivier