Re: How can I use ansi-term under Windows XP?

From: Teemu Likonen
Subject: Re: How can I use ansi-term under Windows XP?
Date: Fri, 21 Aug 2009 07:34:08 +0300

On 2009-08-21 09:35 (+0800), Water Lin wrote:

> I want to use ansi-term under Windows XP. But while I use command M-x
> ansi-term, Emacs will prompt "Run program:". What should I do to fill
> this prompt?

First some theory (which you might be already familiar with). Emacs
ansi-term is a text terminal which means that it's a kind of
input/output device. Text terminal can run any kind of program so the
question would be, what program do you want to run in the terminal?

Often the first program to run in a terminal is a some kind of
command-line interpreter (aka shell) which can then be used to run other
programs. I don't know much about Windows but is there a separate
command-line interpreter program in the system? I think you could try
"cmd.exe". But I'm not sure if Windows programs works in a Unix-like
terminal.