Re: automatic search/search and replace for a marked string

From: Xah Lee
Subject: Re: automatic search/search and replace for a marked string
Date: Sat, 22 Aug 2009 06:58:33 -0700 (PDT)

On Aug 22, 4:07 am, lichtkind <lichtki...@web.de> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have marked a string. Now I want to search for this string in the
> whole text. I know that I can search with C-R or C-S. and type in the
> searchstring. I'm looking for a way, that the marked string is
> automatic the searchstring. This should also work for the other
> search/ search and replace types.

if u are using emacs 22, then you can do this:

“Ctrl+s Ctrl+w”. This will search the current word, but you must move
your cursor to the beginning of the word first.

In emacs 23, the above is deprecated. Basically, now you start it with
M-s as prefix, then press some other key. It's rather complex and very
not intuitive. I have 10 years of using emacs, but i did spent some 5
or 10 min reading the release notes... but i haven't figured it out.

You can, type M-s then C-h, to get a list of shortcuts that has M-s as
start. You can read their command names there.

here's the output:

Global Bindings Starting With M-s:
key             binding
---             -------

M-s h           Prefix Command
M-s o           occur
M-s w           isearch-forward-word

M-s h f         hi-lock-find-patterns
M-s h l         highlight-lines-matching-regexp
M-s h p         highlight-phrase
M-s h r         highlight-regexp
M-s h u         unhighlight-regexp
M-s h w         hi-lock-write-interactive-patterns

ok, i just gave another try with M-s w. Spent another 2 min on this.
Dunno what the fuck it is going.

someday i'll give a hour or two on this, maybe then i'll know the
answer.

  Xah
∑ http://xahlee.org/