python-mode not working in Ubuntu

From: travis+ml-emacs
Subject: python-mode not working in Ubuntu
Date: Sat, 22 Aug 2009 19:24:49 -0500

Hello,

I am an EMACS user and I know scheme, but I don't know EMACS lisp and I've run
into a problem where I could use some help.

I installed the following packages on Ubuntu intrepid:

bash$ dpkg -l | grep -E 'emacs|python-mode'
ii  emacs                                      22.2-0ubuntu2
           The GNU Emacs editor (metapackage)
ii  emacs22-bin-common                         22.2-0ubuntu2
           The GNU Emacs editor's shared, architecture
ii  emacs22-common                             22.2-0ubuntu2
           The GNU Emacs editor's common infrastructure
ii  emacs22-gtk                                22.2-0ubuntu2
           The GNU Emacs editor (with GTK+ 2.x support)
ii  emacsen-common                             1.4.17
           Common facilities for all emacsen
ii  python-mode                                1:1.0-3.1ubuntu4
           Emacs-lisp python-mode and doctest-mode for

When I go to edit a python file with emacs, I get this in my messages buffer:

("emacs" "/tmp/foo.py")
No /etc/mailname. Reverting to default...
For information about GNU Emacs and the GNU system, type C-h C-a.
(New file)
File mode specification error: (file-error "Cannot open load file"
"python-mode")

When I run M-x python-mode, I get this message:

call-interactively: Cannot open load file: python-mode

And yet, it appears to be there:

bash$ locate python-mode
/etc/emacs/site-start.d/50python-mode.el
/usr/lib/emacsen-common/packages/install/python-mode
/usr/lib/emacsen-common/packages/remove/python-mode
/usr/share/doc/python-mode
/usr/share/doc/pymacs/contrib/Giorgi/python-mode.diffs.gz
/usr/share/doc/python-mode/README.Debian
/usr/share/doc/python-mode/changelog.Debian.gz
/usr/share/doc/python-mode/copyright
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/python-mode
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/python-mode/doctest-mode.el
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/python-mode/pycomplete.el
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/python-mode/python-mode.el
/var/lib/dpkg/info/python-mode.conffiles
/var/lib/dpkg/info/python-mode.list
/var/lib/dpkg/info/python-mode.md5sums
/var/lib/dpkg/info/python-mode.postinst
/var/lib/dpkg/info/python-mode.prerm

Can anyone please help me figure out how to troubleshoot this?

BTW: Thanks for creating such a wonderful editor!  It has really helped me
as a programmer over the years.
--
Obama Nation | My emails do not have attachments; it's a digital signature
that your mail program doesn't understand. |