Re: remove to trashcan

From: Xah Lee
Subject: Re: remove to trashcan
Date: Tue, 25 Aug 2009 04:45:50 -0700 (PDT)

On Aug 25, 1:37 am, Alain Muls <alain.m...@telenet.be> wrote:
> Hi emacs users
>
> I installed trashcan.el and this works fine for deleteing files from
> dired, but deleting a directory (recursively) cannot be done. Is there a
> way around?

to delete dir, you need to set a built-in var.

Q: How to delete or copy a entire directory

A: Type “Alt+x customize-variable” then “dired-recursive-deletes”,
then click on the Value Menu to make a choice. Then, click “Save for
Future Sessions”, then “Finish”. Do the same with variable “dired-
recursive-copies”.

;; allow dired to be able to delete or copy a whole dir.
(setq dired-recursive-copies (quote always))
(setq dired-recursive-deletes (quote top))
;; “always” means no asking.
;; “top” means ask once (top = top dir).
;; any other symbol means ask for each dir or subdir.

• File Management with Emacs
  http://xahlee.org/emacs/file_management.html

-----------------------------------

if you are running emacs 23, deleting trash is already part of it.

Deleting files in emacs can now be set so that they move to the OS's
trash.

; deleting files goes to OS's trash can
(setq delete-by-moving-to-trash t) ; “t” for true, “nil” for false

However, this feature has a few problems. When this is on, your system
trash will be filled with tens or hundreds of emacs temp files, such
as those “#autosave#” files, “backup~” files, “.emacs.desktop”,
“emacs00164”, “server”, etc. Also, when deleting a directory from
dired, your system trash will end up with each individual files,
instead of just a folder. If the folder has few hundred files, the
process will be super slow. This happens at least on Windows emacs.

• New Features in Emacs 23
  http://xahlee.org/emacs/emacs23_features.html

  Xah
∑ http://xahlee.org/