Re: Copying till end of word or line

From: Pascal J. Bourguignon
Subject: Re: Copying till end of word or line
Date: Wed, 26 Aug 2009 12:54:29 +0200

"Farhan Ahmed" <farhan@alienfluid.com> writes:
> Is there a single command that will let me copy the word under the cursor
> into my yank buffer? Also, how about till the end of the line?

I don't know, but let's see.

What is the command used to copy the region?

I don't know, but let's see.

How do we find the command executed when I type something?

C-h k  something

What do I type to copy something?

C-w

How do we find the command executed when I type C-w?

C-h k C-w

What is the name of the command used to copy the region?

kill-region

What other commands exist that start by kill-?

We can use M-x apropos-command or completion upon entry of a command
to see them.  Let's kill two rabits with one stone by using the latest
option, on C-h f which will give us the help of the selected command:

C-h f kill- TAB

Do I see anything I like?

Yes, there's kill-line, kill-whole-line, kill-word, etc...

Is there a shortcut for kill-word?

I don't know, but let's see.  Type word RET to complete and get the
help.

Does the help mention any binding for the kill-word command?

Yes, there's M-d.  Happy!

--
__Pascal Bourguignon__