enabling alternate screen for term

From: mandar.mitra
Subject: enabling alternate screen for term
Date: Thu, 27 Aug 2009 08:33:08 -0700 (PDT)

When I use programs like less or mutt in konsole, they restore the
original screen contents when they are done. Many (most?) people seem
to hate this, but I find it convenient.

When I start term / ansi-term / multi-term, I don't get this
behaviour: less / mutt leave their output on the screen. Is there some
way to enable the so-called "alternate screen" in term and friends, so
that I get konsole-like behaviour?

I tried tweaking the rmcup and smcup entries for the eterm / eterm-
color terminal type, but I must be using the wrong sequences or
putting things in the wrong places. I'd be grateful for any hints that
folks might have.

Thanks,
Mandar.