Re: vc in emacs problem with git

From: rustom
Subject: Re: vc in emacs problem with git
Date: Sat, 29 Aug 2009 07:31:21 -0700 (PDT)

On Aug 28, 1:18 pm, Tassilo Horn <tass...@member.fsf.org> wrote:
> Anselm Helbig <anselm.helbig+news2...@googlemail.com> writes:
>
> Hi!
>
> >> Thanks! That tracked it --that is vc works with emacs -Q and fails
> >> without.
> >> But now how to track where the problem is?
> >> I can hardly use emacs with -Q !!
>
> > Well, try emacs -q (no .emacs loading) and emacs --no-site-file (no
>
> >   M-x locate-library vc-git
>
> > give you?
>
> And also check `M-x list-load-path-shadows' to find which external elisp
> files shadow emacs builtins.
>
> Bye,
> Tassilo

Thanks Anselm & Tassilo
The specific info from Anselm -- checkout vc-git.el -- helped me track
the culprit. I had been trying it earlier; it neither worked and also
evidently broke the working vc. When I renamed it out of the way the
problem (seems) to have gone.

But Tassilo's method is the way of tracking down such problems in the
first place so thanks.