Re: Turning off antialiasing

From: Oliver Scholz
Subject: Re: Turning off antialiasing
Date: Tue, 01 Sep 2009 23:33:44 +0200

Anselm Helbig <anselm.helbig+news2009@googlemail.com> writes:

[...]
>> Is there a way to turn antialiasing off, preferably without changing the
>> font backend? If not, will there be one in the future? Ideally, I'd like
>> to turn it off on a per-face basis; antialisasing is painful for me only
>> with the default face, since it's this face in which I read large chunks
>> of text on the screen.
>>
>> Unless I overlooked something, I suppose the only way right now to deal
>> with it, is to use X ressources to prohibit Emacs from using xft,
>> thereby turning off antialiasing entirely. Is that right? Or is there at
>> least a way to keep using xft and turn antialiasing off from Lisp, which
>> I'd prefer?
>
> It's easy, just choose a bitmapped font. Something like
>
>   Emacs.font: fixed
>
> in your .Xresources should do it. Terminus is another popular choice
> for a monospaced bitmapped font, and there are lots of others out
> there. Using a bitmapped font also results in faster display
> operations.

Thank you! Among the workarounds this is probably the best one. It is a
pity, though, I was rather looking forward to playing with various
scalable fonts. It seems that I'll be stuck with the same old bitmapped
fonts. On the plus side, faces for which it does not matter for me stay
antialiased that way.

> That being said, you could also play with your display settings:
> enable sub-pixel rendering and cranking up your font hinting results
> in less blurry fonts. On my ubuntu box, gnome-appearance-properties
> has a font tab where you can change these settings.
[...]

It seems that my Ubuntu is way, way too old.

    Oliver
--
15 Fructidor an 217 de la Révolution
Liberté, Egalité, Fraternité!