Re: CPerl and Perl 5.10.x

From: Ilya Zakharevich
Subject: Re: CPerl and Perl 5.10.x
Date: Wed, 2 Sep 2009 05:52:18 +0000 (UTC)

On 2009-09-01, Ted Zlatanov <tzz@lifelogs.com> wrote:
>>> Sorry if I'm being dense: is the Emacs cperl-mode.el out of sync with
>>> Ilya's version?
>
> IZ> It is "different", and majorly buggy.
>
> So why not update it with your version?  Again, sorry if I am missing
> the necessary context, but it seems like a good idea.

They want conformance to non-backward-compatible coding style.  "Mine"
cperl-mode.el is backward-compatible.  "Their" is conformant, but very
buggy...

> IZ> Given that (AFAIK) 5.10 is now too buggy to be usable, I hesitate to
> IZ> make the change for 5.10-highlight.  If there a way to make "flavors"
> IZ> of highlights (as in "minor mode" over "major mode") conveniently -
> IZ> and without a non-necessary slow-down?
>
> Sorry, I don't know the answer, but I'm in favor of using the 5.10
> highlighting if it must be one or the other.  I doubt the difference
> will matter enough to most users, and those who do will probably prefer
> 5.10.

Why?  Myself, I did not see 5.10 yet...  (Oups, no.  In fact I do have a
copy of a binary distribution somewhere on the drive...  It is
unzipped, but not installed.)

Yours,
Ilya