Re: Indenting Emacs Lisp only with tabs?

From: Helmut Eller
Subject: Re: Indenting Emacs Lisp only with tabs?
Date: Wed, 02 Sep 2009 15:35:57 +0200

* Elena [2009-09-02 15:11+0200] writes:

> On 2 Set, 12:56, Peter Dyballa <Peter_Dyba...@Web.DE> wrote:
>> Am 02.09.2009 um 12:38 schrieb Elena:
>>
>> > I'd like to use a proportional font, but that messes up indentation.
>>
>> That's the trouble with proportional fonts...
>
> Well, that's a trouble with editors - like Emacs - where you can't
> move characters with pixel precision.

To me it seems more like a limitation of text files.

> However, if the indenting function does not try to overcome editor's
> limitations by adding spaces to line things up, tabs work quite well.

You can set tab-width to 1 and the indent function will only insert
tabs.  It's more common though, to not use tabs at all by disabling
indent-tab-mode.

However, the indent function doesn't control how existing files are
displayed and that's the trouble with proportional fonts: code that uses
tabs and spaces looks messed up.

Helmut