Using tramp to connect to a remote emacs session

From: Suvayu Ali
Subject: Using tramp to connect to a remote emacs session
Date: Wed, 02 Sep 2009 16:06:02 -0700

Hi everyone,

I usually have to connect to my lab using tramp (tramp-default-method is ssh) when I am working from home. Since I go back and forth a lot, I have to start a session every time. Is it possible for me to run emacs-server on my lab machine and connect to that using tramp from my home? That would save me a lot of time (mostly annoyance though ;) ) in starting a new session.

So far only reference I found was,

Using emacsclient to make a new frame of a remote Emacs 22 on a local display

ssh remote_host -f emacsclient --eval ‘”(make-frame-on-display \”$DISPLAY\”)”’

in the emacswiki[1]. Firstly I don't understand how this works, and blindly copy-pasting this to the terminal didn't work either. Some help would be greatly appreciated. :)

I am using,
remote machine: Ubuntu 9.04 with Emacs 23
local machine:  Fedora 11 with Emacs 23

[1]http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/EmacsClient#toc22

--
Suvayu