RE: html browser preview help

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: html browser preview help
Date: Sat, 5 Sep 2009 18:39:07 -0700

> Thanks for your reply.
> I have tried so many ways to get to preview .html in Internet Explorer
> browser including w32-browser.el and unfortunately nothing
> has yet worked
>
> Vista works normally such as if I click
> a local directory .html file it opens in Internet Explorer
> but I cannot get
> this function to work in Emacs! (the closest I get is opening w3
> browser-text browser only).
>
> Have you any idea what the problem with this is? Thanks

As I said, I haven't followed this thread. I'm also no expert on this stuff.

Are you trying to open your browser on a Web page (URL) somewhere on the Web, or
are you trying to preview a local (or remote, if you know the machine etc.) HTML
file in your Web browser? I thought it was the latter.

If the former, then you probably need to use a URL and a command such as
`browse-url'. But someone else will be able to help you more with that.

If the latter, then w32-browser.el should do what you need.

All it does is call function `w32-shell-execute' on the file name (or punt to
`find-file' in case of error). That function is an Emacs built-in. Try it: `M-:
(w32-shell-execute nil "c:/my/file.htm")', assuming your file is at
"c:/my/file.htm" and you have your Windows file associations set up so that
*.htm files open with your Web browser. That should work.

I don't use Vista, and I've about exhausted my knowledge of this area. ;-) Hope
someone else can help you out.