Re: ispell-dictionaries: Different Linuxes, different names :(

From: Colin S. Miller
Subject: Re: ispell-dictionaries: Different Linuxes, different names :(
Date: Sun, 06 Sep 2009 17:22:18 +0100

Christian Herenz wrote:
Hi,

I have to use different workstations, where different linux flavours are installed. The problem is, that different distros do different stuff. For example, the ispell dictionary for german (reformed-spelling) is called "german-new" in debian, in opensuse it is "german".

In my .emacs I used as a discriminator the workstations name, but this is not very efficient if you are working on more than two stations.

Is there a way to discriminate different distros in .emacs? Especially "opensuse" and "debian"...

Greetings,
Christian
Christian,

In Debian, the file /etc/debian_version will exist.

On Debian-derived systems, the file /etc/apt/sources.list will almost certainly
exist.

Likewise on RedHat based systems (and any other systems that use yum),
/etc/yum.conf wil exist.

For YaST based systems including SuSE, /etc/yast/control.xml will exist, AFAIK.
I don't have access to a SuSE based system to verify this.

The other way to check what the best dictionary is to check for
/usr/lib/aspell/<dictionary-name>
or
/usr/lib/ispell/<dictionary-name>.hash

Or have aspell/ispell check it for you by examining the return code of
ispell -d<dictionary-name> -e < /dev/null
aspell -d<dictionary-name> -a < /dev/null

HTH,
Colin S. Miller

--
Replace the obvious in my email address with the first three letters of the
hostname to reply.