Re: Moving from Thunderbird to Emacs for mail and calendar

From: ken
Subject: Re: Moving from Thunderbird to Emacs for mail and calendar
Date: Wed, 09 Sep 2009 04:27:25 -0400

On 09/09/2009 03:18 AM Sébastien Vauban wrote:
> Hi,
>
> notbob wrote:
>> On 2009-09-09, Bastien <bastienguerry@googlemail.com> wrote:
>>> AFAIK Emacs + Gnus works fine under Windows.
>> Not my experience. I was never ever able to get gnus for newsgroups the work
>> right under XP. I finally gave up and installed linux. A much better
>> solution all around. ;)
>
> Not my experience. I was able to use Gnus (yes, the best AFAIK) email under
> Windows XP for years. Now, I've switched to Linux for openness reasons, but I
> still have colleagues using Gnus with MS OS (even Vista and Windows 7)...
>
> Seb

Totally with you on the second: Linux is more fun and more flexible and
stable than any Windows OS I've ever used (and that's been a lot of them).

But gnus has been problemmatic for me.  I have multiple email accounts
which I access using imaps (running on different servers).  Setting
these all up and managing them is a snap with Thunderbird.  On the other
hand, I've spend *days* trying to get gnus to do the same and never did
get them anything close to working.  So I gave up.  There's too many
other things in my life to do.  If there's ever clear and accurate
enough documentation on doing this, I might attempt it again.

(But then, how does gnus handle html-formatted emails with images (e.g.,
photos)...?  PDFs?)