Re: Moving from Thunderbird to Emacs for mail and calendar

From: Jeff Clough
Subject: Re: Moving from Thunderbird to Emacs for mail and calendar
Date: Wed, 09 Sep 2009 11:48:03 -0400

Richard Riley wrote:
Never heard of anything like that before. Emacs doesn't launch
thunderbird.

I didn't think it would either, but it's doing it even if Thunderbird isn't running. My suspicion is that, in the interest of not confusing Windows users, Emacs is now shipping messages to the default mailer listed in the OS, in preference to its own SMTP capabilities. If I'm right, I'm hoping there's a variable I can set to fix this. If I'm wrong, then I've got no idea. Clearly Emacs isn't doing the talk to the SMTP server directly thing right now, and I'd rather not dig through smtpmail.el to find out why.

Jeff

--

Author of the Genesys System
A "free" universal role-playing game.