Re: confused about emacs 23 in daemon mode

From: Tim X
Subject: Re: confused about emacs 23 in daemon mode
Date: Sun, 13 Sep 2009 12:19:21 +1000

Rodrigo Amestica <ramestica@gmail.com> writes:

> it is so nice to have emacs starting so blazingly fast when using the
> daemon and emacsclient combination. However it seems that every other
> emacsclient I open is not an independent version of emacs and things
> get intermixed. I think that in emacs parlance the terminology is
> 'frame', all emacsclient instances are emacs frames.
>
> The main problems I have noticed under these circumstances is that 'C-
> h-i' seems to be shared by all frames such that browsing in one frame
> will make the others to move away from their own current info page.
> And the mayor show stopper is ECB. It seems that I cannot have 2
> emacsclients running their own ECB session.
>
> I'm missing something or is the daemon mode not that usable as it
> promised at first glance?

As I understand it, this is normal behavior.

Running emacs in daemon mode is not that different from running normal
emacs. The benefits are that you only have frames when you need them and
you have fast opening when you do want one. However, it is all still
running in a single emacs instance. So, the behavior you mention is the
same behavior you would get if you were running emacs in non-daemon
mode. For example, when you open an info buffer, that is a single info
buffer shared/accessible from all buffers. If you do a buffer listing,
you will see the info buffer as normal and you can switch to that buffer
in any of the frames you have running. If you have two frames open and
both showing the info buffer, going to one frame and selecting a new
infor page will be reflected in the other frame because it is showing
the same buffer.

You can possibly change this behavior by renaming the buffers. I've not
changed this, but have used a similar technique when I want multiple
shell buffers. Once the buffer is renamed, you probably can open another
info buffer and the two will be independent.

I hope this helps.

Tim

--
tcross (at) rapttech dot com dot au