Re: Adding clipboard content to the kill ring automatically (Windows)

From: PT
Subject: Re: Adding clipboard content to the kill ring automatically (Windows)
Date: Sun, 13 Sep 2009 19:27:00 +0000 (UTC)

Andreas Politz <politza <at> fh-trier.de> writes:

> I use something like the following, when I need to grab a couple of
> links in some browser. I don't know know, if that works on w32

No, I don't have x-lost-selection-functions here, but it gave me
an idea to check if kill ring has a hook which is called before
the kill ring is modified. I haven't found such a hook, which is
a pity, because it could be used to push clipboard contents to
the kill ring first if something (a kill) wants to add to the ring.

Without a hook the usual kill commands (C-k, etc.) can be advised
to check the clipboard first and push its text to the ring if
necessary, before they perform their own killing. This may be a
more intelligent approach than running a timer.