Auto-correcting proper nouns with flyspell?

From: Dave Täht
Subject: Auto-correcting proper nouns with flyspell?
Date: Mon, 14 Sep 2009 20:34:35 -0600

Is there a way to make Emacs (flyspell) automatically capitalize proper
nouns that have no other equivalent, instead of marking them in yellow
with an underscore?

You don't dave a car or michael a wrench, and while you may ring a
clapper on occasion, I am more likely to write to a Brian Clapper than ring
a clapper.

Typing brian shows up as mis-spelt rather than being auto-corrected into
Brian. As examples, the first suggestion for brian, dave, or michael in
flyspell (ESC-TAB) just recapitalizes it. Why can't it just do that for
me?

If I meant, brain, not Brian, I'll go and fix it. It's easy to spot
wrongly capitalized words in the middle of a sentence.

"I was really talking about Einstein's Brian, and the mysteries locked
within."

I know I could fix this with abbrev, but there are an awful lot of very
distinct proper nouns in this world, and flyspell already does most of
the right thing...

It would also be nice to be able to prioritize your proper names over
ancient words nobody uses anymore. Take smith for example. How often do
you use a smith these days? How often do you correspond with John Smith?
How often do you have a smith in the john?

--
Dave Taht
http://the-edge.blogspot.com